MINUTES OF A MEETING OF
FRIENDS OF DENTON STATION
ON THURSDAY 23rd February 2012 AT
VICTORIA PARK COMMUNITY CENTRE, DENTON
Present: Alan Jones (Chairman)
Mike Meaney (Vice Chairman)
Helen Mottershead (Secretary)
Cllr Brenda Warrington
Approximately 15 members
Apologies: Cyrus Naveri (Treasurer)
Cllr Dawson Lane
Theo (Network Rail)
George and Janice Gregory
The minutes of the previous meeting were read.
- Regarding the ticket machine, this is being reviewed in May. Dave Ferguson has been counting how many people are on the train each week which varies from 8 to 18 apart from the Christmas Folk Train which was full.
- Compass Tours – they are now stopping at Denton Station. This is good publicity for the Station and we should make the most of it.
The minutes were agreed.
Sainsburys – A meeting recently took place at Sainsburys with Andy Brennan and two others. The Chairman wanted to know if we could have have access via Sainsburys to the old platform. The fence is currently broken. Apparently there was originally a gate there but it has how been fenced off but no one is sure who owns the fence whether it is Network Rail or Highways. Brenda said that it isn’t council land so the Council wouldn’t have put the fence up. Also there were lots of concerns about the amount of rubbish there is around the bins at Sainsburys especially the Charity Bins. Brenda said she would phone Sainsburys to see what they say about it.
Paul Hewlett kindly volunteered to the Secretary so Helen Mottershead officially resigned with Paul being proposed and accepted by Peter Elliott and Dave Ferguson.
Refurbishment of the Station:
The repairs at the station are nearly completed. The council have also put up two signs for the station. As Compass Tours are now using the station, it is hoped that taxi drivers will soon realise where the station is and hopefully spread the word.
The Chairman is currently in the process of completing a grant application form for Manchester Airport. Other suggestions for fund raising were to hold a B B Q on the station but this was thought to have too much of a fire risk and the other suggestion of an Entertainment Night also raised problems to the variety of ages involved.
Once sufficient funding is in place the Chairman asked for volunteers to drop the soil bags onto the platform and to move the sleepers onto the platform. As we are not sure when the funding will arrive, it was suggested that people keep their eye on our website and when the Chairman is ready for volunteers he will post it on the site.
Any Other Business:
- It was suggested that the time of the meeting be moved to 7.30pm but it was agreed to keep the same at 7.00pm
- Litter bins needed on platform – maybe fire/bomb risk
- It was suggested that we liaise with the Police/Community Police to see if they can patrol every few nights at the station and also around the back of Sainsburys. Peter Elliott suggested that we ask the PCO’s at the next PAC meeting to make sure they do go and inspect the Station/Sainsburys. Also maybe contact the Environmental Health Dept regarding the rubbish at Sainsburys as it will be encouraging Rats.
Date, Time and Place of Next Meeting:
Thursday 24th May 2012 at 7.00pm